Marriage License

Walla Walla County Auditor’s Office                            
Recording Department
County Courthouse
Second Floor
315 West Main Street
Walla Walla WA 99362 
office hours:
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Monday thru Friday

Marriage License Information
Marriage Application and Instructions (if unable to apply in person)

View and Order Marriage Licenses Online

The application fee for a marriage license is $59.00Cash onlyThe fee is non-refundable.  Checks and bank cards are not accepted.
The marriage license is not valid for 3 days from the date of application.  The waiting period cannot be waived for any reasonThe marriage license must be used in the State of Washington within 60 days of the date of validation.  These are calendar days.
A form of picture identification is required by both parties: driver’s license, state ID or passport.
Birth certificate, divorce decree or other documentation are not forms of identification. 
If the last name is changed on divorce decree or court order and is not showing on picture ID, then present a certified copy of document along with picture ID.
The applicant(s) social security number is required on the marriage license or the applicant(s) can sign a Declaration in absence of a social security number.
If one of the parties cannot appear in person, the other party may take the uncompleted forms to the absent party to be filled out and then signed in front of a notary public.  When the application is returned, the party taking the forms completes their portion in our office.
There are no blood tests required.
Questions for both applicants:  Applicant’s birthplace, address of residence and phone number.  Both parent’s birth name and birth state/country (if known).
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Applicants 17 years of age may obtain a license with the consent of a parent or legal guardian.  The person giving the consent must come in with the applicants, show picture identification and sign the marriage application.
  • Applicants 16 years of age or younger:  require parent or guardian consent, must be a resident of Walla Walla County, meet with the Superior Court Judge and have a signed consent from the Superior Court Judge.  Once the consent is signed by the Judge then we can complete the application and start the three-day waiting period.
By State law, any (active or retired) regularly licensed or ordained minister or any priest of any church or religious denomination and judges of courts of limited jurisdiction may perform a marriage ceremony.  The marriage license requires signatures from 2 witnesses that are present at ceremony. 
See below if you would like one of the following Judges to perform the ceremony.  You will need to contact them regarding the fee amount to perform the ceremony and to schedule an appointment.

Kris Hedine (District Court): 509-524-2761
Brandon L. Johnson (Superior Court): 509-524-2791