Social Media Policy
Walla Walla County Emergency Management
Social Media Policy (External)
Any individual accessing, browsing and using a Walla Walla County Emergency Management Social Media site accepts without limitation or qualification, Walla Walla County Emergency Management Social Media Policies (hereafter "Policies"). These terms and conditions apply only to the Social Media sites (defined here as third party hosted online technologies that facilitate social interaction and dialogue, such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube) that are managed by Walla Walla County Emergency Management (hereafter “WWCOEM”). WWCOEM maintains the right to modify these Policies without notice. Any modification is effective immediately upon posting the modification on the Social Media Policy page unless otherwise stated. Continued use of a WWCOEM Social Media site following the posting of any modification signifies acceptance of such modification.
WWCOEM operates and maintains its Social Media sites as a public service to provide information about disaster preparedness and response, county programs, services, projects, issues, events and activities. WWCOEM assumes no liability for any inaccuracies these Social Media sites may contain and does not guarantee that the Social Media sites will be uninterrupted, permanent, or error-free.
B. Posts Policy
Although we encourage posts and comments on WWCOEM Social Media sites that allow posts, these sites are limited public forums and are moderated by county emergency management staff. All posted content (comments, photos, links, etc.) must be related to the topic at hand. The following are prohibited on WWCOEM Social Media sites:
- Comments not topically related to the particular post being commented upon;
- Posts and comments that promote or advertise commercial services, entities or;
- Political statements, including comments that endorse or oppose political candidates or ballot propositions, are prohibited under state law (RCW 42.52.180);Posts and comments that promote, foster or perpetuate discrimination on the basis of creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation;
- Posts and comments that include vulgar, offensive, threatening or harassing language or personal attacks ;
- Obscene or sexual content or links to obscene or sexual content;
- Illegal activity or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- Comments from children under 13 cannot be posted in order to comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. By posting on a WWCOEM social media site, users acknowledge that they are at least 13 years old. Those 12 years old or younger may e-mail WWCOEM instead (firstname.lastname@example.org);
- Content that violates a legal ownership interest of any other party, including copyright or trademark interests; or
- Anonymous posts.
WWCOEM reserves the right to remove posted content that does not comply with these Policies. All posts and comments uploaded to WWCOEM Social Media sites that allow posts will be periodically reviewed. All posts and comments are public records subject to public disclosure under the Public Records Act and the retention periods set by the State of Washington.
Communications made through WWCOEM Social Media sites in no way constitute a legal or official notice or comment to WWCOEM. (For example, a post or comment that asks for public records will not be considered a public records request under RCW 42.56.) To comment about a WWCOEM project or program, please contact Walla Walla County Emergency Management department.
C. Links Policy
- Links to other Social Media Sites and External Websites Provided on WWCOEM Social Media Sites
WWCOEM may select links to other Social Media sites and outside websites that offer helpful resources for users. Once an individual links to another page or site, the WWCOEM Policies no longer apply and you become subject to the policies of that page or site. WWCOEM's Social Media sites are intended specifically to share information about disaster preparedness and response, county programs, events and services. Walla Walla Emergency Management is not responsible for the content that appears on these outside links and provides these links as a convenience only. Users should be aware that these external pages and sites and the information found on those pages and sites are not controlled by, provided by or endorsed by WWCOEM. WWCOEM reserves the right to delete links posted by outside individuals that violate the WWCOEM Policy at any time without notice.
- Links by Other Entities to WWCOEM Social Media Sites
It is not necessary to get advance permission to link to WWCOEM Social Media sites; however, entities and individuals linking to WWCOEM Social Media sites may not capture any of the WWCOEM Media sites within frames, present WWCOEM content as their own or otherwise misrepresent any of the WWCOEM’s Social Media site content. Furthermore, they shall not misinform users about the origin or ownership of WWCOEM Social Media site content. Links to WWCOEM Social Media sites should not in any way suggest that WWCOEM has any relationship or affiliation with that organization or that WWCOEM endorses, sponsors or recommends the information, products or services of that site.
D. Copyright Policy
All information and materials generated by Walla Walla Emergency Management and provided on WWCOEM Social Media sites are the property of WWCOEM. WWCOEM retains copyright on all text, graphic images and other content that was produced by WWCOEM and found on the page. You may print copies of information and material for your own non-commercial use, provided that you retain the copyright symbol or other such proprietary notice intact on any copyrighted materials you copy. Please include a credit line reading: "credit: WWCOEM Facebook (or Twitter or YouTube) Page" or "Courtesy of WWCOEM."
Commercial use of text, WWCOEM logo, Walla Walla County logo, photos and other graphics is prohibited without the express written permission of WWCOEM. Use of the WWCOEM or Walla Walla County logo is prohibited for any non-governmental purpose. Any person reproducing or redistributing a third-party copyright must adhere to the terms and conditions of the third-party copyright holder. If you are a copyright holder and you feel that WWCOEM did not use an appropriate credit line please notify WWCOEM with detailed information about the circumstances, so that the copyright information can be added or the material in question can be removed.
E. Contact Us
If you have any questions or concerns about the Walla Walla County Emergency Management Social Media Policy or its implementation, or if you find incorrect information or are interested in seeking permissions that fall outside of the guidelines above, please contact the WWCOEM.
*This Social Media Policy was created based on policies created by the City of Bothell, Washington.
Downloadable copy in Adobe Acrobat