Washington State’s Governor’s Committee on Disability Issues and Employment (GCDE) promotes equality, opportunity, independence and full participation in life for people with disabilities. Its members represent a wide range of constituent groups, geographical perspectives, ethnic origins and cultural heritage.
The Accessible Community Advisory Committees (ACAC) Act was promoted by the Legislature to help communities be more welcoming and inclusive for persons with disabilities and to promote and provide equal access to the opportunities available to others. Their participation enriches communities, enhances the strength of the diversity of a community and contributes toward the economic vitality of a community.
Read about the ACAC's first steps from the May County Connections Newsletter
OPENINGS ON COUNTY ACCESSIBLE COMMUNITIES ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Press Release | Application
Walla Walla County envisions the Accessible Communities Advisory Committee be actively involved in:
- Advising policy makers on the needs of persons with disabilities in emergency plans.
- Advising the county and other local governments within the county on access to programs, services, and activities, new construction or renovation projects, sidewalks and other pedestrian routes of travel, and disability parking enforcement.
- Developing local initiatives and activities to promote greater awareness of disability issues, and acceptance, involvement and access for persons with disabilities within the community.
ACAC members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners
If you are interested in becoming a member of the ACAC please email ACAC@co.walla-walla.wa.us.
ACAC meetings are held monthly from 3:30-5:00 pm. The committee meets in person at Valley Transit and on zoom – link on the agenda.
2023 Meeting Dates
- Wed., Oct. 18, 2023: 3:30 to 5 pm cancelled
- Wed., Nov. 15, 2023: 3:30 to 5 pm
- NO DECEMBER MEETING
ACAC Kick-off Meeting